What is the difference between ISO 27001 and ISO 27002?
It has set guidelines that mandate the companies to identify the risks and address them by foolproofing the security measures.
Read more about ISO 27001 here.
Benefits of ISO 27001
- It helps organizations define clear goals and craft infallible strategies for protecting information assets.
- A foolproof Information Safety System will give you the peace of mind that you need to focus on the growth and development of your business.
- When you apply for ISO 27001 certification, you get your security system evaluated by an external auditor, who is more capable of deciding if your informational assets are actually safe.
- ISO 27001 certification will help you become a reliable and responsible business. Your potential buyers will more likely choose you over a company that doesn’t have any such certification.
- When implemented properly, these policies will protect you against data breaches and thefts which could cause severe financial losses.
ISO 22301 is also referred to as ISO 22301:2019, the updated version of the original standard ISO 22301: 2012.
ISO 22301 sets standards for businesses on how they can ensure continuity during natural as well as man-made disasters. Companies need to develop, approve, and implement a Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) that thoroughly describes the strategies and solutions businesses need to adopt to ensure the continuity of the delivery of their products or services in case of disruptive events, including technology failure and intentional sabotage.
The primary objective of ISO 22301 is to help businesses identify the potential risks, assess the impact of these risks, and define what can be done to minimize the overall loss.
ISO 22301 is basically all about risk management, which also includes risk related to information security. However, ISO 22301 only partially overlaps with ISO 27001 and doesn’t clearly define how businesses can protect themselves from information theft.
Benefits of ISO 22301
- A well-crafted risk mitigation plan will prevent your business from suffering large-scale losses.
- ISO 22301 may be necessary to get your business insured. It depends on the laws of the country you live in.
- Most companies rely on a few highly skilled risk management experts to minimize losses which may not be a good strategy. The individuals may quit anytime or be unavailable when you need them the most. A well-defined Business Continuity Management System is not dependent on any person. It will help you figure out what needs to be done.
- Having ISO 22301 makes you sound like a sincere, reliable, and credible business. It will help you showcase your commitment to your stakeholders.
- You will be able to ensure the delivery of your products and services in almost all circumstances.
What is the difference between ISO 22301 and ISO 27001?
ISO 22301 vs. ISO 27001 – which one should you choose?
You could go with both. Each has its own scope and provides specific benefits.
If you currently do not have the resources to opt for both, you can analyze your specific needs and go with the one that provides you maximum protection.
For example, if you are into manufacturing, your business is more prone to non-IT-related threats such as failure of machinery, bad weather, etc. ISO 22301 helps you evaluate such risks and address them when needed. But if you are an online service provider, for example, in Saas, you may want to go with ISO 27001 first because your business is more prone to IT-related threats.